History

Protect the Adirondacks!, Inc. (PROTECT) is a new, non-profit, grassroots membership organization dedicated to the protection and stewardship of the public and private lands of the Adirondack Park, and to building the health and diversity of its human communities and economies for the benefit of current and future generations.

PROTECT is the result of a 2009 consolidation of the Residents’ Committee to Protect the Adirondacks (RCPA) and The Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks (AFPA).

Founded in 1901, the Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks (AFPA) is the oldest non-profit advocate for the long-term protection and health of the natural and human communities of the Adirondack Park.  AFPA was directly involved in virtually all of the seminal events that comprise the environmental legacy of the region.

Founded in 1990, the Residents’ Committee to Protect the Adirondacks (RCPA) is one of the Park’s newest environmental advocacy organizations. Its strong voice for protection of the Park and its communities has been highly influential in the early 21st century.

Both of these organizations have employed education, citizen action, partnerships and strong advocacy in support of a common vision for the Adirondack Park, which integrates strict protection of public wildlands with sustainable stewardship of private farms and forests to promote the mutual well-being of the Park’s natural and human communities. Both have fought to maintain the integrity of Article XIV of the New York State Constitution, which is the so-called “Forever Wild” clause that protects the publicly-owned NYS Forest Preserve in the Adirondack and Catskill regions.

By consolidating these two groups, PROTECT now serves a combined membership, many of whom are full-time residents of the Park.  Most of our members reside in New York State, but many others live throughout the country.  They all share a common desire to protect the legacy of the Adirondack Park.